In every town in the county, Sisters collaborate with others in meeting a variety of needs or in helping to enrich peoples’ lives. The following gives some indication of this support:
• Support for those people suffering with cancer: this involves assisting people who are going through treatment, providing opportunities for them to meet with others and to encourage one another. The underlying purpose of all of the above is to enable people to live life to the full, despite their diagnosis.
Donegal Cancer Support Drop-in Centre
Some of the rooms in the Centre
• Rainbows: Sisters work with specially trained facilitators in supporting children who are coping with the loss of a parent through death or separation.
• Vincent de Paul Association: through membership, Sisters collaborate with others in bringing practical help to those who are most in need. www.svp.ie
Pioneer Association: the members seek to address alcohol-related problems in society, mainly through prayer, self-denial, and the promotion of positive life-styles. To this end they visit schools after children have received the Sacrament of Confirmation, encouraging them to abstain from alcohol during their teen years. www.pioneerassociation.ie
• St. Joseph’s Young Priests’ Association: the group meets monthly to pray for vocations to the priesthood and to engage in practical ways of assisting seminarians financially during their time of formation. www.stjosephsyoungpriestssociety.com
Meals on Wheels: Sisters collaborate with the committee involved in delivering Meals on Wheels; they help in the local Thrift Shop.
• Promotion of the Arts: Sisters promote the Arts by helping poorer children who have instrumental and vocal talent, facilitating their involvement in Youth Choirs and Orchestras.
Membership of the Legion of Mary: Sisters with other members participate in the life of the parish through visitation of families and of those people who are ill. They collaborate in every apostolic and missionary activity sponsored by the parish. www.legionofmary.ie
Fundraising: A Sister who supports a mission in South Africa which provides help for orphan children, co-ordinates activities locally: boxes of knitted and crocheted goods are sent abroad. As members of the Parish, Sisters are also involved in fund-raising for Mercy projects world-wide.