Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy

Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy

Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy

New Inn, Co Tipperary

The desire to have a religious order of teaching sisters and brothers in a parish was universal throughout Ireland during the second half of the nineteenth century. The smallest of villages aspired to this objective. In 1877 the Mercy Sisters, Charleville, Co Cork responded to the invitation of Fr. John Ryan, Parish Priest of New Inn 1855 – 1891 to establish a convent in New Inn, Co Tipperary. The parish provided a twenty-three acre farm and convent for the Sisters. On 1st May 1879 four Sisters arrived accompanied by Mother M. Joseph Croke, Superior of Charleville convent, a sister of Dr. Thomas Croke, Archbishop of Cashel and Emly 1875 – 1902. The Sisters transformed education in New Inn.

On their arrival they began teaching girls in the parlour of the convent and a new school for girls opened in 1890. A secondary top was started in 1938, becoming a secondary school in the 1950s with a boarding school added 1964 – 1985. The school had close ties with nearby Rockwell College run by the Holy Ghost Congregation and they shared teachers and facilities. Srs. M. Gertrude and Kevin from New Inn were the first Cashel and Emly Mercy sisters to be sent for training to Carysfort Teacher Training College, Dublin 1927 – 1929. In 1920 the New Inn sisters took over Drangan convent from the Tipperary Sisters. In 1964 New Inn acquired a wider ministry when four Sisters opened a convent and school in St. Patrick’s, Jacksonville, Florida which continued until the late 1980s. Sisters of Mercy still live and work in New Inn.

Baggot Street Carlow Limerick  |  Birr Templemore

Doon Abbeyfeale  |  Rathangan New Inn

by continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information