Convent Of Mercy, Wexford
On the 8th December, 1840 four Sisters, Sisters Mary Teresa Kelly, Mary Gertrude Kinsella, Mary Aloysius Redmond and Mary Brigid Hackett went from Carlow to Wexford. They had been invited by the Priest Fr. James Lucey, to help educate the poor of the area and to provide care for the sick and dying. Despite the difficult weather conditions the Sisters were helped by the local people.
Foundations were made from Wexford to Cappoquin, Co Waterford, New Ross, Rosslare, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford, Carrick-on-Suir, Co Tipperary, Moorsfield and Crispin Street, London, England, Yarrawonga, Australia, Lake City and De Land in the United States.