Convent Of Mercy, Kinsale
On the 19th April, 1844 the Convent in Kinsale was founded from Limerick. Sister Mary Ann Burke, Sister Francis Bridgeman, Sister Xavier Daly and Sister Mary Martha McCarthy. By July of that year the foundation stones of the schools and part of the Convent were laid.
The Sisters worked in the local schools. They also provided employment. Lace making for women and net making rope for the fishermen.
Foundations were made from Kinsale to Derby, England, Clonakilty and Skibbereen, Co Cork, to Newry, Co Down, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Doon, Co Limerick, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States, Delray Beach, Florida, United States.
Foundations were made from Skibbereen to Rosscarbery, Co Cork, and to Cornwall, England and Boca Raton, Florida, United States.
A foundation was made from Clonakilty to Waterford and Dunmore East and Kilmacthomas, Co Waterford and to Jacksonville, Florida, United States.