Convent Of Mercy, Killarney
The Sisters came to Killarney on the 2nd of October 1844 from Limerick. They lived in High Street. They nursed the sick during the Famine. Some of the Sisters died nursing the sick. The Sisters went to work in a lying-in hospital in 1848, the Fever Hospital in 1853, the Workhouse in 1867, and St. Elizabeth’s in 1867. They moved to their new convent called Holy Cross in 1857. The site was donated by the Earl of Kenmare.
In 1854 they started a school in St. David’s and a school on High Street. In 1861 an Orphanage for girls was opened. The Sisters went to work in the workhouse in 1867. In 1868 to provide employment for girls they started Irish Point Lace Industry. This was a great success. In 1872 an Infants School was opened which later became the Boys’ Orphanage. In 1888 Holy Cross Convent School was opened.
Foundations were made from Killarney to Tralee, Kenmare and Caherciveen, Co Kerry and Abbeyfeale, Co Limerick and Castletownbere, Co Cork.
Foundations were made from Tralee to Dingle, Listowel, and Ballybunion, Co Kerry, Brisbane, Australia, Carmichael United States.