Catherine McAuley made her Religious Profession in the Presentation Convent, Georges Hill on the 12th of December 1831. The House of Mercy, the first Convent of Mercy,was blessed the following day by Archbishop Daniel Murray. This had been opened in 1828.
Catherine had a vision of religious life which included an availability for ministry not typical in that era. The first Sisters of Mercy ministered in the midst of society, visiting the sick poor in their homes, teaching and providing safe shelter, relieving poverty in a direct way in all the new foundations.
Before Catherine’s death in 1841 Mercy had expanded throughout Ireland and England. Some of the Convents in our Province were founded during this period, while others were founded from these first Convents.