Convent Of Mercy, Charleville
The 29th October, 1836 was the Foundation Day in Charleville. This was the third house of the Order. Catherine McAuley, Sr. M. Angela Dunne and two Novices came from Baggot Street, Dublin via Tullamore.
They were invited by Fr. Thomas Croke P.P. and Mary Clanchy. At first they lived in a house in Clancy Terrace given by Miss Clanchy until the new convent was built a few years later. Sr. M. Angela Dunne was the first Superior.
They taught in the local National School. They started a Pension School in the Convent in 1840. An Infant and Industrial School was started in The Old Fever Hospital Building which was closed in the 1850s.
The Sisters went to the Crimean War in 1855, and also made foundation in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia.
Foundations were also made in Buttevant and Midleton, Co Cork, New Inn, Co Tipperary, and Kilmallock, County Limerick.