These days St. James’s Hospital, Dublin is in the news due to the development scheme for the National Children’s Hospital. This book, The History and Heritage of St. James’s Hospital, takes a long backward look at the involved history of St. James’s Hospital, the largest teaching hospital in Ireland.
The book which was written by Professor Davis Coakley and his wife Mary Coakley provides a history of St. James’s. The hospital began in 1603 as a Foundling Hospital and Workhouse for Dublin. The emergence of the present hospital in the mid-19th century and the role of the Sisters of Mercy is described. It serves to remind us that so much of the good that was done in the past relied on voluntary work and contributions.
The book is printed by Four Courts Press and is available in bookshops.